They are responsible for managing the execution, direction, and coordination of all transportation matters within the organization.
This includes managing budgets, organizing schedules & routes, ensuring that vehicles are safe and meet legal requirements, and ensuring that drivers know their duties.
Their duties also include managing staff that assists with transportation activities such as dispatching, routing, and tracking.
Transportation Manager Responsibilities:
- Directing activities related to dispatching, routing, and tracking of vehicles
- Planning, organizing, and managing subordinate staff members to ensure work is completed and consistent with the company’s standards.
- Directing investigations to verify and resolve customer or parent complaints.
- Collaborating with staff members to formulate and implement transportation-related procedures as well as company revenue goals and customer service objectives.
- Arranging repairs and routine maintenance of vehicles.
- Complying with transportation-related policies, as well as safety rules, union contracts, and government regulations.
- Promoting safe work activities by conducting safety audits, and attending company safety meetings.
Transportation Manager Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics, business management, engineering, or related field.
- Know mechanics of school transport
- At least 2 years experience as a transportation manager in a similar industry.
- Solid knowledge of the transportation industry and logistics.
- Experience working with union contracts and transportation-related government regulations.
- Critical thinking skills and knowledge of analytics.
- Experience working with transport management systems and warehouse management software, such as FreightPath and Infoplus.
- Ability to work well with team members and navigate stressful situations.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Good conflict resolution skills.
- A good driver with a valid driving license